Car Shows Was Re: Club Apathy (relatively long) -

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Car Shows Was Re: Club Apathy (relatively long) -
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:02:41 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, triumphs-owner@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Listers,
After many years, many shows, witnessing many controversies and hearing
zillions of opinions, I am resigned to the fact that there will ALWAYS be
controversy surrounding car shows and judging.

Popularity shows are just that. One Healey owner from the Northeast used to
stand around his car and hand out beers hoping for votes (and it often
worked), in other cases popularity judging concerned voting for (or against)
the owner and not the car, other shows include multiple models (Big and
Small Healeys for example) in the same class resulting in inequities. Got
lots of friends = Lots of votes, good car or bad. Got lots of chrome = Lots
of votes. I have seen some owners become abusive towards their children when
they lose (Yeh, I've seen it happen), and non-first-place owners verbally
abuse the first-place owner after the show. I will never forget a certain
National Healey Meet at which the first place Concours entrant, literally,
almost hyperventilated at the podium. At another show,, I was witness to the
most extreme example of cruelty and over-reaction which some would say
deserves entry into a behavioral science textbook. I've seen it all.

If necessary, give each entrant a trophy at registration and stop the
bitchin'. Or as an alternative, how about this. Create categories for awards
such as the best white 1960 Sprite, best white 1960 Sprite with black
interior, best unrestored white 1960 Sprite with carpets, best white 1960
Sprite with 1275, best white 1960 Sprite with extra chrome, etc. etc. etc.
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line. Own and enjoy the type of car you want to own and enjoy. Don't
own or build a car to win a $10.00 trophy. Don't build a car to win a show
and don't attend a show just to win an award.

IMHO, ultimately, car show competition and trophies are meaningless.

Let the opinions fly.

Jay Fishbein, CT
AN-5
HAN-6