Re: rust removal off small parts

To: ldsp <ldsp@flash.net>
Subject: Re: rust removal off small parts
From: Bruce Lowry <egnorant@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 00:12:48 -0500
Cc: austin healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It has been my experience that 85% Phosphoric acid will clean the part quickly
and effectively. However...this stuff is pretty nasty. I used about a pint and a
half of 100% to 4 gallons of water to do an overnight clean of several parts.
This way you don't have to gear up like your handling plutonium and it can be
used until it is no longer effective. It is still potent enough to eat a part if
left in long enough,but gentle enough that you can walk to the sink to rinse it
off you hands if you are clumsy like me. Degrease the part first and you get
better overall cleaning. Too thin for brushing on...but for dipping in a 5
gallon bucket it works well. I got mine from a refrigerator repair place and it
is 100% phosphoric acid. Just a note...if you happen to get any in your
mouth....even a small amount of very dilute....stomach cramps and uh...diarrea.
Don't ask!Bruce Lowry