Re: Apathy and a challenge (longish)

To: jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Apathy and a challenge (longish)
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:21:03 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes there were more single day stints this year. And it appeared only the
people who wanted them in the first place showed up. That amounted to about
four people at the last one I attended, on a holiday weekend, and I had the
time of my life. We joined dozens of other car clubs in the SOVREN
S.I.R.vintage races. Absolutely cool. We tried for some "cruise nights" but
three of us did not a cruise make.(!?)
Heres the count taken from our calandar of events for 1999
19 different two,three and multiple day events scheduled.
7 tech sessions (two were cancelled)
8 single day events

Truly I didnt even want to post any of that to the list as it didnt really
reflect my feelings about the club and its members. I dont have anything
against the older generation (heck if it werent for my grandad I would never
have had any interest in cars) I only included the part about average age and
available three day weekends because I feel totally left out. All the "real
cool" MG stuff ends up having to be that way in our club, as you just cant
have that kind of fun in a single day event when your people are spread so
far and wide I guess.
 The events I attended this year were open to every make of car from Chevys
to Jags. I still had lots of fun but if we had not joined these other clubs
in these events they wouldnt have happened.
. I'm not a forerunner or a leader at all. I just like to join in the fun and
enjoy myself without worrying what everyone thinks (but I still end up
feeling kinda the outsider)
 Obviously I am pathetic at explaining myself and I apologise for the wasted
bandwidth. I just couldnt sit here squirming-- reading about other people
having similar experiances without chiming in. When all is said and done I
will probably be renewing my membership with the hopes that if I keep showing
my face at these events and driving my dirty little rubber lipped monster
that eventually they will just HAVE to like me or tell me to get lost. ;)
Besides, Ive only got one other RB Midget to compete with at many events and
it is a garage queen. (well, they drive it sometimes so I guess thats not
quite accurate)
Gary
75 Midget daily driver
75 Midget project car
(hey Ulix, should we create a Spridgeteers "drivin' like maniacs" NW club?!)