Re: Mk. IV info

To: Jim Algar <JamesA@hi-torque.com>, MidgetSpriteClub <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mk. IV info
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:24:19 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim,

The chassis number is the "official" VIN number. My understanding is that
the chassis number is the one referenced for tracking component options and
color scheme. For example, the dash in earlier cars MKI and II had vinyl
covered dashboards that matched the interior. The rear of the dash would be
labeled in yellow crayon with the chassis number to indicate the correct
car to which it belonged. Other numbers are only close (maybe) in sequence.
I remeber also hearing that bodies were welded up in one facility and
lorried (trucked) to the assembly line area where the rest of the car would
be assembled. I guessing the body number was tracked in one facility and
the assembly line used the official chassis number. Personally I'm glad
they had multiple numbers and tracked them that way. My red Bugeye was
missing the chassis number, but had the body number intact. I was able to
obtain the original chassis number from BMIHT via the body number. On
Bugeye's, it's the RH door post number starting BAE. Got a hand written
note from Anders requesting that number, so I know that's accurate.

Gerard

At 3:44 PM -0700 10/27/99, Jim Algar wrote:
>Received my Heritage certificate yesterday on my '69 Mk. IV
>Sprite; just thought I'd post it to help folks with numbers
>close to mine get an idea of the build timeline.
>
>Chassis:    H-AN9-U / 79140-G
>Engine:    12CD-DA-H/10273
>Body:    HUN/006000-P
>Gearbox:    29396
>Rear axle:    2096
>
>Build date:    11-12 December, 1968
>
>Detroit spits a car out about every eleven minutes and BMC
>took two days?
>
>And how do you get a separate chassis and body number for a
>monococque car? I suppose the chassis number refers to the
>basic pan or "tub" assembly and the body numbers came with
>everything welded onto it...though I'm willing to be
>enlightened on this.
>
>Jim Algar

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos... then you
probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A