Re: A little help...

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A little help...
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 20:53:00 +1000
Cc: "Eric Russell" <redhotsprite@hotmail.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
There is a simple way to setup your plug wires and to get the
timimg vaguely right.

Step 1: plugs out, finger over #1 spark plug hole. using very short
applications
of the starter until you get pressure under your finger (and the air blowing
past
your finger making a very audible "pshst" sound.

At this stage you are on the compression stroke for cylinder # 1

Step 2: Using the appropriate sized socket on the nut on the front
generator/alternator (sometimes 11/16, sometimes 3/4 or 7/8, maybe
other sizes too), press down on the fan belt and turn the nut until you have
the timing mark on say 5 degrees BTDC. If you haven't yet put marks and
tabs on the top of the pulley, you'll have to have a second person
underneath
the front of the car to spot for you.

Step 3: Now go to the dizzy. with the rotor in place, look at the direction
the
metal tip of the rotor is pointing.  Place the dizzy cap on the dizzy and
identify
where on the cap this direction corresponds to. Remove the cap, look inside
and see whick of the metal 'posts' corresponds to that direction. This is #
1

Step 4: Put plugs in. With dizzy cap in place securely, hook #1 wire up to
plug.
Working anticlockwise, the order of the other wires is 1 3 4 2

That's it!

The engine should fire up from there. You can then get the timing light out
and get the timing spot on.

Hope that helps. if anything is unclear, just ask.

Mike