Re: Valve Adjustments

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustments
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:54:40 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/31/99 8:07:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< but they were relatively quiet before I did the adjusting.
 Subsequent, I noticed two things:

 1.    I am getting significantly more tappet noise than before.  Not
 terribly loud, but noticeable.  Is this normal?  >>

I was always told that there should be SOME tappet noise--that if there
wasn't you could bet that the tappets were too tight, or at least there was a
chance that this was true.  Probably too much would indicate that they were
too loose.  Noticeable?  They are probably adjusted right.  I think it is
always best to check the adjustment after driving it a couple of hundred
miles after an adjustment--if they are set right, I wouldnt worry about the
tapping.  I think eyeballing the valve ends, tappets, and the pushrods for
damage would be important too while the valve cover is off.

--David C.