Re: Valve Adjustments revisited

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustments revisited
From: "guyweller" <guyweller@mgownersclub.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:03:19 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My understanding of valve clearances are that they are there to allow for
proper expansion of the various components so that once warmed up the
clearances are at, or close to zero.  Allowing the valves to close fully,
without too much rattling.
The recommended clearances on some engines (A series) are always given for a
cold engine, whilst some manufacturers give warm engine clearances for their
settings.
I was taught, many years ago, to set tappets with the engine on tick-over,
but I don't bother these days - it is more difficult with everything
bouncing up and down, messy with oil everywhere, and it chews up the guages.
I forget what the plus points ever were !!
Guy