Re: king pin play (oh no, not another king pin thread!)

To: "John C. Gottstein" <gottstein@erols.com>
Subject: Re: king pin play (oh no, not another king pin thread!)
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:15:33 -0500
Cc: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
John,

The problem is that there could be a couple of sources of the play. If
it's endfloat, then _probably_ nothing bad is going to happen _real_
soon. If it's severe metal loss in the lower A-arm fulcrum, you may have
a serious problem. I don't see a problem with you telling us in detail
what diagnostics you've done up to this point, or plan to do. Who cares
if we start another kingpin thread? Oops! We already have! Anyway,
atleast get the front up on jack stands, get a good light on the kingpin
and A-arm, and push the tire straight up and down. Try to see _exactly_
where the play is coming from. Wiggle the tire in and out and look for
play again. You may want to scrub down all the players first since
everything is probably covered in a thick layer of road grim and grease.

You may get lucky. All of my wobblies were due to two things: shot upper
shims (causing endfloat) and a shot shock arm attachment. Took one
morning to fix.