In a message dated 11/5/99 1:44:07 PM, firstname.lastname@example.org writes:
<< OK, I know this is off topic, but....
The BarcaLounger on Wheels ('86 Ford Crown Vickie) has developed some
shocking behavioral problems, literally.
Over the last couple of months (as the weather gets drier), I develop a
charge of what I assume is static electricity which discharges when I get
out and put my hand on the door (grounding myself). This occurs whether
it was a short or long drive (five minutes to an hour or longer), but
doesn't happen during damp weather.
I'm a little tired of getting zapped, but have never ran into this
problem before. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Think you have got all of the answers but being the nightowl in the west just
wanted to get in 2 cents worth.
The static electricity is generated by your clothes rubbing on the
upholstery, one or both is most likely nylon or one of the polyester’s.
Grounding yourself before or as you leave the car will remove the charge, or
use your key on the door handle as has been suggested. That jolt that you
get can be a real problem at a gas station, as someone else mention, since
you are dumping 6,000 to 7,000 volts. Now thats a shock isn't it!!
Bob and Annice