Re: Dificult 1st, gear selection.

To: "Dave O'Neill" <dave_oneill138@hotmail.com>, midgetspriteclub@listbot.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dificult 1st, gear selection.
From: James Algar <algar@smartlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:50:01 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,

You have just described almost perfectly the technique I have been using to
shift my Sprite for thirty years, to the point where the action is  absolutely
automatic and unconscious (insert "unconscious" joke here.)  I never try to
shift directly into first. Sitting at a stop in neutral, I depress the clutch,
pull *back* on the gear shift lever until I feel it just "kiss" the second gear
synchro, then forward into first neat as can be. No grind, no graunch, no fuss,
no muss.

Regards,
Jim Algar
Valencia, CA