Re: Findin' the manifold crack

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Findin' the manifold crack
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:24:13 -0500
Cc: Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"Charles D. Sorkin" wrote:

> Since you mention it, what is exactly involved in removing the carbs?

I remove the carbs complete with intake still attached.
This keeps the choke and accellerator cable in tact which is probably
the toughest part of the job if you remove the carbs from the intake.
Using a 1/2" open end wrench, start with the 2 inner manifold nuts,
lossen them but do not take them all the way off. remove the outer 2
intake nuts, undo the heat shield bolts (if you still have them on your
car) undo the fuel line. Lift off he carbs complete with intake and set
it up on the brake cyl (LHD models).
Not if you want to get to the exhaust, fully remove the 2 inner nuts,
remove the outer 2 exhaust manifold nuts and the exhaust pipe. If you
have busted (not busty) exhaust manifold/pipe studs, now is a good time
to drill out the original set up and install new stainless bolts and
nuts.
To re-assemble, put the exhaust manifold back on, tighten the 2 outer
nuts, place the washers and inner intake nuts on the studs loosely,
offer up the intake/carbs assembly and tighten everything up.
A new manifold gasket is money well spent if you plan on removing either
manifold.

This info works for A sereis only, I am not sure about spitfidgets.
--
 Frank
 Drive it or give it to somebody that will