Re: Motorsport Magazine

To: "Daniel Thompson" <dthompson@gbc.ca>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motorsport Magazine
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:16:03 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'd guess Fangio was #1, but GV #2?

I'd have to say I'd put Clark (2) and Senna (3)  and even Schu (4) ahead of
GV.
Maybe others if I sat down with all the data.

Why? Well, while there is no doubt that GV was a tremendously talented
driver, he didn't convert this into consistent performances as those others
did.
It is a sport about winning as well as natural ability! More accurately, it
is about
scoring points, but winning is everyone's goal.

Jean Alesi is a similar, albeit lesser, example of someone with tremendous
car control and natural ability that has not made it into the super elite
driver list.
(and he has had a lot more of a chance than GV did)

I have no problems with tremendously successful drivers like Prost not
being in that top 5. Why? Well, while his racecraft, tactics (on and off the
track)
led to great success, he did not show the great natural ability of the
others.
Lauda is another example.

Flame suit on!

Mike