Won't start!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Won't start!
From: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:30:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am back on the list and again working on my '72 Midget after a break of
six months.  In May I had the Midget running, albeit roughly, now it won't
start.  I am, admittedly, a neophyte and need help.  On Sunday when I tried
to start the  engine after the car had sit without running for six months,
all I got was a clunk.  I had recharged the battery and when the battery
didn't start the car I tried the hooking the  charger directly to the
battery terminals.  The charger instructions said it could be used to start
cars.  Same clunk.  Without the charger in the circuit I tested and had good
bright headlights.

As a beginner I think the problem is probably the solenoid but I don't know
how to test for that?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BIll