Re: Fuel Pickup

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pickup
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:22:35 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/8/99 9:06:41 PM, millerls@ado13.com writes:

<< How is the fuel pickup installed/removed to/from a Spridget gas tank?

I seem to have a problem with the fuel pickup. When I go uphill I run out of
gas when the tank is below about half full. The fuel pump just starts
clicking away like it's sucking air. It does not have to be a very steep
hill either. Turn around and go downhill or find a flat spot and it's ok. >>

Larry,

Your pick up tube could, have a hole in it,  be turned the wrong direction or
the screen filter may have a limited blockage.  Unfortunately you will need
to pull the gas tank to check it out.  The pick up tube with plastic screen
(if it is still there) can be seen through the fuel sender unit opening.  The
end of the pick up tube at the fitting for the gas line is flared and press
fitted into the threaded boss, you do not need to unbraze the boss to get the
tube out.  By reaching through the sender unit opening the tube can be
twisted which will free the flare in the boss.  You need to be careful as the
end with the plastic screen is kept in place by a tab fixed to the bottom of
the tank.  If you have to remove or just move the pick up tube then once it
is back in place but before installing the sender connect the gas line to the
tank so that the pick up tube flare is pressed back into the boss.
Disconnect the fuel line and check to be sure the tube has not moved.  It
should stay in place while you get the tank back in the car.

Good Luck

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor) in progress