Re: Vizard's New Book! (Tuning the A-Series Engine)

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vizard's New Book! (Tuning the A-Series Engine)
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:47:34 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I received my copy on Friday from Barnes&Noble.com  I have the 2nd Edition
and have read it multiple times cover to cover, so my comments are comparing
that edition to the 3rd Edition (I have also read the 1st Edition, but not
thoroughly enough since I don't actually own a copy).

The amount of reused information is much greater than I expected.  Areas
where I was hoping that there would be some significant improvement (carbs
and intake manifolds) are total rehashes of old information.  Performance
Filtration is the same (not much that could be improved on this section).
Carbs are the same.  The huge disappointment for me was the total lack of
any new or revised info on intake manifolds.  While there might not be a lot
of new manifolds out there, continuing to cover the VS1, which is
unobtainable, is a travesty.  The failure to adequately compare single carb
manifolds with attached carb, to multiple carb manifolds with attached
carbs, to modified stock manifolds with attached carb(s) is significant, in
my opinion, and should have been addressed in this revision.  Yet again the
carb & manifold stuff gives no definiitive information regarding Continuing
to cover manifolds which are NLA, only increases the frustration of the
reader (like the Janspeed manifolds).  Also, where is the Russell
Engineering Manifold or the APT manifolds?  The APT manifolds have been out
for years and are produced by his friend and business associate David Anton,
but are not mentioned at all???!!  This was a huge, HUGE disappointment to
me...

The one area that does receive a fair amount of attention is head grinding.
This section has been revised and new work is presented in this area.  I
have no doubt that this is important information for anyone working on the
top end of the motor.  Cams also have been revised, not much in the way of
new designs have been presented, just more information about interaction
between lift & flow, how it interacts with head design, and how compression
affects it.  Maybe one day I'll put this stuff to use.  There is also a bit
more information regarding exotic heads, but again a real lack of comparable
data between some the available (hard to find and expensive) 8 port designs
and his 5 port moded heads.  Inclined heads was one thing that was mentioned
as needing more research in the 2nd Edition and there was really not much
more on it in this edition (although Longman has been doing these for years,
come-on and get one to test!  You've had 5-8 years!).

General impressions (from a weekend read) are that unless you are going to
do a head, I would not purchase the 3rd edition.  The amount of new
information in all other areas is substantially lacking.  Even the head
information is a disappointment considering more than 10 years have passed
since the last edition was written.  Where is the information about some of
the exotic material valves?  Where is the information about some of the new
exotic piston designs and their potential benefits (Accralite (sp?) 2 ring
pistons for very high rpm motors)?  Give me more information with available
stuff, not old info on NLA stuff.  Still, its a great read even if I was
expecting more....

Anyone one else read the book and have different opinions?  Tell me what I
have missed in my quick read through it!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite