Re: HIF (non-fish) carb question

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: HIF (non-fish) carb question
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:54:49 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Serious question... really.
>
> What exactly is the difference between the HIF carbs which are on my '74
>Midget and the allegedly non-HIFs on the '68 Sprite?

Charles

HIF is for Internal Float. I don't know what the "H" stands for but the
I F is internal float. Your carbs have side mounted floats.
No pre 75 Midget came with these. Only the later 1500s and they had the
Zenith Stromberg not SUs.
And FWIW, I put the HIF 44 back on the A40 because my daughter was
complaining about lousy gas milage. The same day she asked for her Weber
back!
And I quote "I want speed, not mileage, please put The other carb back
on my car, it sounds better and goes much faster."

Now I have no idea what a fish manifold is, and if it relates to the
single 1.75 SU on a 1275, it's a fish out of water if you ask me.
I have tried several carbs, needles, intakes, and combos of all of the
above, they idle great, get fantastic fuel mileage, and are simple to
tune. BUT they are no match for a side draught Weber! Anyone who says
they are the same, never tried both setups on the same car.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ