Re: Dream A Series Engine.....

To: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dream A Series Engine.....
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:17:33 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert,

my 1380cc isn't quite done yet, but I have kept my ears open as what
others have done.
If you want a torque monster, do the 1380 (Hepolite pistons from APT or
MM for $400) with the offset bore (APT can tell you how).  Mike Gigante
told the list about his 1380 with the Kent 266 cam, he really loved the
torque.  I have an APT VP7 cam which is about a 276, but it ends up a
good bit more expensive because you have to buy special springs and
retainers.  So the Kent 266 is probably the one to go with.
If you just want torque and not high rpm hp, you could do some valve
unshrouding and get the CR to about 9:1, maybe 9.5:1.  This will be easy
since you have to remove material from the combustion chamber anyway to
get the compression down to a reasonable value with the new pistons.

For a "dream engine", you could go with an aluminum head!  Probably
wouldn't help much with torque though.

Tweak the intake manifold per Vizard, buy an LCB and you should have a
great motor.
Ulix

--
http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9