Spin Doctoring (was: A Shady Firm! (No LBC))

To: kwaringa@dynsys.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Spin Doctoring (was: A Shady Firm! (No LBC))
From: richard.arnold@juno.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:48:31 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ken:

While I realize you didn't write these, I had just a couple of comments.
Nothing personal is intended.

> I just received this and found it very interesting.

I also found it interesting, but for different reasons.  Given the large
number of "weasel words," I wonder as to the agenda of the author.

> *29 have been accused of spousal abuse

"...accused..."  No proof.  No charges.  No trial.  No conviction.  Not
even an inkling of who the accuser is (Does the accuser have credibility?
 Was it a spouse?  Or was it someone with an axe to grind? Not that
political enemies ever spread lies, you know...).

>*7 have been arrested for fraud

"...arrested..."  See "accused" above.  Where's the trial?  The
conviction?

> *19 have been accused of writing bad checks

"...accused..."  See above.

> *117 have bankrupted at least two businesses

"...117...bankrupted...at least two..."  You do the math.  Just what was
the relationship of these 117 to the alleged businesses?  Mighty big
bunch of fellows (more than 20% of Congress) to do in a small number of
businesses.  Of course, someone could have just made it up 'cause (a)
it'd be hard to prove who actually caused the bankruptcy, even if (b) the
bankrupted companies were identified (note the clever use of the
indefinite "at least two" and "businesses").  But no one would do that,
would they?

>*3 have been arrested for assault

"...arrested..."  See above....

> *71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

Fascinating!  Why, the fines (not to mention the potential criminal
liability) for whoever was willing to break the assorted federal and
state to release this information about simply one member of Congress are
staggering.  I can barely imagine the fines for having done it for every
member of Congress (as they must have, to determine that 71 of 535 are
not credit-worthy).  Queries:  Which credit cards?  Who made the
analysis?  How did the provider of this information get the SSAN for
every Congress member to check their credit ratings?  Did that person
break any laws to do so?  And can we really trust that person's ethical
judgements?  On other tacts, why can't the person get a credit card?  Are
they spend thrifts, or did they just have some business problems?  Did
whoever give out their credit history somehow also "create" the problems?
 Finally, is it somehow illegal or immoral to not qualify for credit?

> *14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

"...arrested..."  See above.

> *8 have been arrested for shoplifting

"...arrested..." See above.

> *21 are current defendants in lawsuits

Well, that's good enough for me.  Doesn't the fact that they've been
named as a defendant mean they did something wrong?  While we could look
at the types of suits that were filed (if any), and make an independent
assessment, we don't need to here.  Heck, they're not only "defendants,"
they're "current defendants"!  Wow!  Never mind that, if true, they are
simply exercising the same legal rights that all of us have (to defend
ourselves when hauled into court).  After all, no one ever files a
frivolous suit.  And politicians are never sued while they are in office.

> *In 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving

"...stopped..."  See "arrested," "accused," and etc above.

>Our tax dollars at work.

Inasmuch as all of these seem related to personal factors (as in
non-public office activities), it is unlikely that any involve our tax
dollars.

> It's the 535 members of your United States Congress. The same group
> that perpetually cranks out hundreds upon hundreds of new laws designed

> to keep the rest of us in line.

Out of ten assertions, only one makes a definite statement -- about the
availability of credit cards.  For already stated reasons, I find that
assertion a little unlikely.  One of the reasons I manage to be so
disgusted with our Congress is their willingness to engage in doubletalk
and weasel words.  Congress, however, rarely goes as far as the author of
this piece.

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"
'86 Ford Crown Victoria LTD "BarcaLounger on Wheels"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com

Why pay more to get Web access?