Re: Another ignition prob - won't go away

To: "Nevard, Chris" <Chris.Nevard@bskyb.com>, "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another ignition prob - won't go away
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:15:23 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The timing, while no longer perfect, is close.  Haven't yet consulted the
Hayne's manual per se, but I peeked under the valve cover, cranked the
starter a couple of times, and when the 1 piston was near top dead center
(as indicated by the fact that both rockers were all the way up), the rotor
was essentially at the #1plug wire.   So my timing must be close (I have
been tweaking it).

I didn't notice any rockers that were loose or broken.

As soon as I pick up a new points and condenser set, I will replace the
ignition system.  An important question though is:  Since the distibutor
gear is offset, to a degree, is it even possible to place it in backwards?

Also, would an extremely rich mixture setting cause these problems?  I
suppose its possible, even though I never noticed any black smoke, that the
mixture adjustment could have shifted somehow.  My choke seems to be
functioning though.

On the plus side, I got the engine on the Sprite unseized, and with the
application of jumpers to the solenoid, got the starter to turn!  Important
to note, though, as I grapple with this project, the former owner of the
Sprite is also a list member, so do not malign him (excessively).

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite