Re: Re: Changed Name a Bit!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Changed Name a Bit!
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 01:25:03 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

<<AOL will work fine if you send the file as an attachment, and avoid .mim
stuff.  It is also very picky about reading html in e-mail.  I think most
people have trouble if they don't have the correct program to decode a .mim
file or open a picture.  I understand that Macs have trouble opening MS .doc
files, so it is always best to send written docs as text.>>

Just a couple more items on this subject.  Different ISP's handle multiple
part e-mails in different ways.  Some simply do not (or did not a year ago)
support attachments.  Others compress the attachments into the the body of
the e-mail.  Some of these we receive as MIME files.  Had thought it was AOL
that was doing this but their tech folks said no it was other ISP's and gave
me a web site where I could get translators for both Mac and Wintel machines
to decode some of these files.  In one particular case we have spent a
resonable amount of time trying to get attached files transfered between like
machines but using different ISP's wihtout success.  In another case were we
wanted to send four JEPG or GIF files to someone not on AOL it was neccessary
to attach each one to a seperate e-mail.  Otherwise they got compressed into
a file that no one seem to know how to decompress.

But it is amazing how far electronic communication has come in the past 20
years.

Bob and Annice