Poppet Valve - Thanks

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Poppet Valve - Thanks
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 21:44:08 -0600
A word of thanks for all the advice on my poppet valve situation.  Here's
the summary of what I think I was doing wrong though I won't be able to
work on it again until maybe Thursday - Friday for sure as it's my day off.

Probably ought to take the throttle plates out of the carbs - easier to
work on, less solder on the carbs and less heat sinking from the brass to
the surrounding carburetor.

Didn't polish up the plate sufficiently with a Scotch-brite.

Didn't use enough flux.

Didn't have a hot enough gun - my dad loaned me one tonight which has a tip
which looks like it will pass the heat to the plate much better.

I know with VB just 10 minutes away I could buy new older style plates or
new plates with good valves or I could swap mine out with a spare carb set
I have and hope the poppets are better in these, but now it's a challenge!
Can he learn to solder?  :)  Yes, he can.

Once I've had a chance to try out the suggestions, I'll post my results.

Thanks again,
Philip