Cold Weather Starting

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cold Weather Starting
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:35:12 -0500
This is probably just another Lucas Thing, but I'll
ask anyway.

Howcum my '72 with Lucas Sport Coil and SU carbs starts
so darned hard when it's cold? When the weather is balmy,
I merely touch the key and I'm off. Get below 45-50F and
I need to crank several times. Seems like I need to try it
once or twice, shut off the key, then hit it just once more and
it starts. Then it takes forever to warm up to running ok.
I mean, I give it full choke (and yes! the cable does seem to
move the choke thru it's full range). Still, if I try to drive
off it falters and sputters for a moment while I rev it. Takes
a good 10 minutes to run normally.

Is this normal given the car? The plugs are a nice brown/gray.
The SUs respond properly when the pin is lifted. The exhaust
pipe shows a gray/black color. Sure ain't running lean.

Is there a cure? Or just patience.

chuck