Re: Near to a solution, $(*&^ Lucas

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Near to a solution, $(*&^ Lucas
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 15:55:30 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Charles,

My experience in recent years with Lucas rotors and caps have been a
whole lot less than sterling.  Check to see if the spring loaded carbon
piece in the distributer is still there.  They pop out with alarming
frequency.  The cap may also be new but defective.  Rotor may be rubbing
its underside on something in the distributer, so look closely. And if
you have splitfire plugs in the car, take them out and use them for
fishing weights.  Echlin from NAPA is a good replacement for Lucas.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:30:23 -0500 "Charles D. Sorkin"
<cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>Dear list:
>
>Well, I finally have gotten (almost) my ignition system problem
>straightened
>out.  I got the car running today.  For about 5 seconds.  (Hey, its an
>improvement over the previous condition).  I think I have discovered
>the
>problem.  Hopefully it is the only problem.
>
>Among the items that I have changed, I have had two different new
>Lucas
>rotors in the distributor.  Since I'm getting spark at the points, but
>not
>at the plugs, and the wires and distributor cap are new, what else
>could be
>the problem?
>
>I went out and picked up a third Lucas rotor, installed it, and got
>the car
>to run for another five seconds.  Took the distributor cap off, and
>sure
>enough, the rotor was loose, even though it is sitting exactly where
>it is
>supposed to be.
>
>How the hell could Lucas #(*&$ up a @#($*&ing rotor?!?!?  Its just a
>piece
>of plastic that comes out of a mold!  Does this mean that all Lucas
>rotors
>produced in the last batch are bad?
>
>A whole month of motoring wasted...
>
>Regards,