Fw: Fw: OE MG Midget Tires

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Fw: OE MG Midget Tires
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:47:39 -0500
Over here they (American car racers driving American cars) shave their
treaded tires to the minimum tread requirement to increase traction and to
round the tire. After shaving a rebalance is recommended. Their theory is
that full tread flexes during cornering and cause a loss of traction. Since
the tire is mounted on a machine to spin it and the cutting edge is
stationary, the result is a perfectly rounded tire on that particular rim.
Shaving a racing slick is strictly for rounding it unless they are shaving a
used tire. Used tires, however, are rarely shaved unless they are just
barely used and the rim is changed for whatever reason. I'm not familar with
the term "buffing" when applied to tires.