Re: cool ... no lbc

To: mbelect@mindspring.com, soavero@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: cool ... no lbc
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:53:54 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
    I agree with your analysis;  the evaporative cooling effect, however, is
highly dependent on relative humidity.  Above about 90% RH, with ambient air
temp above skin temp (which, incidentally is well below 98.6 mean) sweat may
transpire, but alas, no evap and no cooling off..... I'd guess that 99f/90%RH
still air presents an optimum lab for studying the effects of heat related
distress.....sweat insulates, increasing water loss upsets electrolyte
balance, brain overheats, pulse increases, bp drops, krebs cycle goes awry,
cardiac related diaphoresis leads to further dehydration.... physical
activity exacerbates the condition. Boom just like that, found dead in a
puddle of sweat, searching for an airconditioner switch in a Spitfire coupe
with broken window regulators, somewhere in in August in  Louisiana....
Mark Childers (former navy SAR )