Really Dumb Move

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Really Dumb Move
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:46:44 -0500
I HATE THERMOSTAT BOLTS!!!!!!!

I was having a problem with the engine not getting warm enough so in my
infinite wisdom I decided to put a new thermostat in. Well I do not have
a garage so I went out with a flash light. I pulled the thermo cover off
and put in a 190 that I had had for a while. Then the engine would not
heat at all so I ran over to the car parts place and got a new
thermostat. Pulled the cover and put in the new one, stuck the bolts in,
tightened, and filled. The antifreeze ran right out under the cover. So I
pulled it off cleaned it again and retorqued. Now it runs out the HUGE
FREAKING CRACK in the water pump housing.

In my freezing rush I did not notice that the bolts were of 2 different
lengths. The one on the drivers side is longer and open to the world. The
one on the passenger side is shorter and goes into the top of the
housing. If you get them backwards and tighten them really good, the
gasket will seal but the housing will crack.

To make an already long story short, I am in desperate need of a water
pump housing for a 1500 Midget. It appears that I can replace it, if I
can find one, without pulling the engine. Any thoughts? Anybody got one
they wanna part with, like yesterday?? I do not see them listed in either
Moss or VB.

Help, This is my Daily Driver and realistically my only car, the Artero
has a bad lifter (wasn't the rod bearing after all)

Desperately yours

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget