Re: differentials

To: "Paul A Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Subject: Re: differentials
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:09:31 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Paul

By my formula (RPM * Tire Height) / (336 * Gear Ratio) it's more like 89 MPH

Tire Height = 21.3" (175x60x13)
Gear Ratio = 3.9

5000 * 21.3 = 106500
336 * 3.9 = 1310.4

106500 / 1310.4 = 81 MPH @ 5000 RPM in 4th (my Speedo sits right on  80 at
5000 RPM in 4th)

Tire Height = 21.3" (175x60x13)
Gear Ratio = 3.2 (3.9 * .82)

4500 * 21.3 = 95850
336 * 3.2 = 1075.2

95850 / 1075.2 = 89 MPH @ 4500 RPM in 5th

Electronic VDO Speedo initially calibrated over a measured mile and verified
against Sandi's 1995 Camry. It may be a MPH or so off but not much.

At the time I was paying more attention to the road then the gauges. I was
either turning less RPM's or going faster than I thought.