Fuel tank internals

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel tank internals
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:42:12 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I just pulled the bugeye's fuel tank, to either fix or replace the sender
unit, so I can again have a functioning fuel gauge. Turns out that one of
the fine wires in the resistor had burned out (probably when I incorrectly
wired the freshly rebuilt fuel gauge last spring). Oops. But a little
soldering, testing, and new gaskets, and all should be well.

However, an internal inspection of the tank revealed some rust, so I want to
have it steam cleaned, and then apply one of the tank sealing kits, to
prevent or at least delay further rust. The fuel pick up inside the tank
ends with some kind of filter or check valve. It's cylindrical, about 1" in
diameter and perhaps 1 1/2" long, is red and white. Can someone tell me what
this thing is?

I'm also concerned that the tank sealer stuff will clog up this filter/check
valve, which doesn't sound good :). Can it be removed, or does anyone have
any advice about how to deal with it?

Thanks to all,

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC