Re: Furor on spridgets list

To: "REID TRUMMEL" <rtrummel@san.osd.mil>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Furor on spridgets list
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:21:28 -0500charset="koi8-r"
From REID TRUMMEL <rtrummel at san.osd.mil>
To: <lesmyer@geocities.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 6:03 AM
Subject: Furor on spridgets list

> Hi Les,
>
> An AHCUSA member just alerted me to a furor on the spridgets email list
> regarding publication of a tech tip by Frank Clarici in the January issue
> of Austin-Healey Magazine.  I have not been subscribed to the spridgets
> list for several months, but I went back and reviewed the archived
> messages.  I must say I am quite surprised, to put it mildly.
>
> I recall that we obtained your permission, a long time ago now, to use
> anything on your PDLJMPR website in Austin-Healey Magazine.  Before I
> respond on the spridgets list (I just re-subscribed), I wanted to confirm
> that that was also still your understanding.  Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
> Reid Trummel
> President, AHCUSA
> Publishers of Austin-Healey Magazine

Hi Reid and list,

Yes, I remember making this statement to Austin Healey Magazine.  Or
agreement was that you could use anything on the PDLJMPR site, as long as
you gave the Author and PDLJMPR credit.  For example:  "by Frank Clarici -
reprinted from PDLJMPR Web Magazine" .  I find it hard to believe that Frank
really cares, because he was given credit - but I have not discussed this
with him.  I certainly don't care to make an issue of it.

I just re-subscribed to the Spridgets list 2 evenings ago, and caught the
tail end of the copyright issue saga, on the list.  What timing!  I never
understood how it all got started - until now.

So all you guys on the list, who are pissed at Austin Healey
Magazine.......If you need to be pissed and argumentative - then send me a
nasty e-mail.  I'm the one who said they could do it.  If the concensus is
that you don't like what I did with PDLJMPR - then I can make it can go
away, much easier than it was to start and maintain it.  I just returned to
the list, with the idea of putting out a new issue.  I want you to know this
is very discouraging.

As an aside - I know from experience how hard it is to find material for new
issues.   Probably, the magazine should apologize to Frank, for not asking
him (out of courtesy and comraderie).  The rest of you should realize, that
the magazine did not do anything even close to copyright infringement.

Personally, I find it an honor to have PDLJMPR material appear in Austin
Healey Magazine.  If PDLJMPR continues - then my same policy will continue.
I put a blanket statement about use of PDLJMPR site articles - a very long
time ago.  Austin Healey Magazine did follow those guidelines, and also
specifically obtained my blanket permission.

Now, can we end this?

Regards,

Les Myer