Volunteers (was Re: AHCUSA - Follow-Up)

To: "REID TRUMMEL" <rtrummel@san.osd.mil>, "Spridgets Group" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Volunteers (was Re: AHCUSA - Follow-Up)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:21:27 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <gregk@healey.org>
Spridgeteers:

I applaud all volunteers and the time that they spend contributing to their
'cause'  We could use more of them in just about every aspect of society.
Volunteers are, perhaps, more likely than others to sometimes cross the line
because they are often operating on a shoestring and can't afford to get
legal advice about issues such as copyright.  When it's brought to
their attention that they may have erred, it's always nice to see them
apologise and learn from their mistake.  Only a very litigious and vengeful
person would ever sue a group of individuals that are not out to make a
profit in the first place, IMHO.  The lesson to be learned here is that the
"creator" may need to grant permission for the use of the "creations".  The
best bet is to always take the safest route.  Just because there may be a
comment "May be copied" does not mean that it can be copied for a use other
than the copier's personal use.

I hope that everyone will see this for what it appears to have been - a
simple mistake - and that everyone involved will try harder in the future to
respect the 'creations' of those with the skills to "create".  I would hate
to see this discussion stifle the creative juices of those who have been so
willing and eager to share with the rest of us, in whatever forum.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all of those volunteers whose free
advice and work maintaining this list and PDLJMPR have helped me (mainly a
lurker) in more ways than they'll ever know.

Geoff Muttart
Bugeye
Nova Scotia, Canada
With very few creative juices, no membership in the AHCUSA,  but a hunger
for all those FREE! PDLJMPR submissions to continue!