Re: Disk Brake Conversion

To: Bob Brown <rcbrown@lucent.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Disk Brake Conversion
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:03:50 -0800
Bob,

The steering arms definately mount pointing toward the wheel, but your
problem is, the caliper attaches to the rear side of the axle assembly, not
the front. Not sure how you could miss this since there are only two
mounting holes (rear). I'm wondering if you might have mixed up the swing
axles with the drum type, since they do have front and rear bolt holes.
Also there is no reason why the steering arm ends from the "parts Midget"
would not fit the tie-rods on the Bugeye. Not sure what you mean by not
fit, but if you don't get the threads lined up correctly, it may appear to
be a mismatch... check it again. Later 1500 Midgets used a different rack
(Triumph, I believe), but I don't think the axle assemblies are different.

Gerard

At 11:15 AM -0600 2/13/00, Bob Brown wrote:
>List,
>
>I have been planning to convert to disk brakes on the wife's Bugeye for
>some time. Well this weekend was the time for the project. Several
>years ago I picked up the remains of a Midget that had only the front
>brakes and Diff left, remainder had been completely stripped. I had
>also purchased a rebuilt a-arm and rebuilt front end kit, plus shocks.
>Then had
>most of every thing powered coated for a nice look.
>
>So yesterday I get the to the point of putting the steering arms on the
>stub axle. The Moss and Mini-Mania catalogues have the arms angled away
>from the axle, I installed that way. No good, at least 6 inches from the
>tie-rod ends. Reversed and mounted the steering arms to angle towards
>axle. (which is the way they were on the old assembly, and shown in the
>Haynes manual). Now there is no room to mount the brake caliper.
>
>So obviously, the correct installation is steering arm angled away
>from the axle. But now the tie-rod ends are way out of position. Also,
>

>Finally my questions. Can I simply(?) order the tie-rod ends for a late
>model Midget and install them on the steering rack of the Bugeye to
>solve my mismatch problems. Or must I start at the tie-rod ends and
>go farther into the steering and possibly replace the entire steering
>assembly. Or do I replace the parts I have installed so far with
>a disk brake set up from an earlier Spridget.
>
>Opinions?
>
>Bob
>Just a simple project getting complicated and more expensive!

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A