Re: Double Bearing hubs for Spridgets - anyone using them?

To: "Mike & Kerry Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Double Bearing hubs for Spridgets - anyone using them?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:52:07 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I started using the double hubs on an HP Bugeye when Joe Huffaker Sr. first
sold them.  The car does, however, have the later steel wheel cylinders.  I
always had to put some "kinks" in the springs to keep them from rubbing on
the hub itself.  When I pulled the car out of the garage in '95 to have some
fun with vintage racing in my dotage, I upgraded the studs to 7/16" -- which
wasn't legal in the late 60's.  The stud flanges had to be ground down to
reduce interference with the wheel cylinder dust seals.  I've never gotten
the wear there completely stopped, but the spring rub is eliminated with the
kinks.  The only difference I've seen between Joe's old hubs and the new
Mania ones is the placement of the inner bearing.  The Mania one puts the
inner bearing closer to the outboard bearing allowing for a circlip to hold
the bearing in the hub (instead of leaving them on the shaft) during
removal.  I have no idea about the quality of modern replacement axles, but
I do know that the double bearing hub was the first real solution to the
broken axle flange which plagued all Sprite racing in the middle 60's.

Myles Winbigler
Bugeye AN5L-9781 - a race car since 1961
Lotus 7 America SB1092 -  yet another BMC delusion.