Re: Electronic Non-ignition, PLUS need plate ideas

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic Non-ignition, PLUS need plate ideas
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:28:32 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Greg says:

>What I want to know is what the hell is up?  I've noticed that several
>listers have mentioned having EI and then converting back to points.  Are
>these things hopelessly destined to fail or am I just very unlucky?  Is
>anyone out there using a unit with no problems for a long period of
>time?( more than two weeks)

I was completely frustrated for several week trying to sort out alterations
to the wiring harness as a result of the installation of a Mobiletec EI
system.  (It was made in Nottingham, so perhaps it was original equipment?
I've never heard of the brand, and neither have I heard of an English EI
system.)  I understand that they also fail due to temperature fluctuations.
When internal components shrink in cold weather, connections may be
degraded, but they will work just fine when the weather warms up.

Since my problems were intermittent, I decided that enough was enough, and
points were simple enough to comprehend for a Spridget rookie like myself.
I'd rather carrry around an extra point set in the boot and know that I'll
make it home.

Also:  I think that one of the big EI brands has a caveat that the waranty
only pertains to the original purchaser.

I Haven't noticed any changes in gas mileage.  Since I changed back to
points, the car starts on the first turn of the key every time, unless its
below freezing.  It didn't before.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ

PS:   I just got a letter in the mail from the NJ DMV, with my antique
registration application for the Sprite.  (They're having a sale on fees!)
I need suggestions for the custom plates.  The car is white in areas where
the paint remains, and hopefully will be running very shortly.