back to the suspension again

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: back to the suspension again
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:55:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I'm back!

I had a few more minutes and cleaned off a few parts and looked at them more
carefully.

This results in questions, of course.

The kingpin bushings do not appear to be worn, nor does the kingpin.  Almost
all the wear seemed to be in the fulcrum pin and bushings at the outer a-arm
( where the bottom of the king pin connects ).  How much play is allowable
between the king pin and the bushings?  There is a bit.  It is not tight,
but the movement is 'almost' non-existant.  Should there be 'no play'?

I haven't gotten around to removing the bearings, but I most definately did
not need a puller to remove the hub.  I plan to order new bearings, but
wondered whether it was normal for the hub assembly to just 'slide off'
after getting that cotter pin out and removing the castellated nut.

I have started taking the second assembly off, and you guessed it, I got
grease on my parka again.  Doh!  I took the spring off in the shortcut
manner.  Not a problem!  Of course I substituted a new problem in place of
it.  The inner fulcrum pins aren't coming out very easily ( as in 'not at
all' yet ).  It kinda seems that the sleeves are stuck to the pins???
There's not much wind-up room there for hammering?

My coil springs differ in height by approx. a half an inch.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca