Re: Slow wipers

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, JamesA@hi-torque.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slow wipers
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:52:10 EST
All to often and most recently the weekend just gone.

On this occasion the problem was that the bolt that secures the wiper control
tube into the wiper motor had worked loose and causing the control cable to
bind.

Other likely faults are:

A kink in the control cable or tubes

Seized wheel boxes

Motor on its way out.

My experience has been that the steel control tube is useless and crap and I
junked it.  I used a larger bore pipe in copper which is nice and soft to
bend and the extra bore allows more scope for poor alignment problems.

With a seized wiper wheel box I drilled a hole at the base of the body and
squirted WD40 into it until it freed up (I had no money for a replacement
wheel box).

Most BMC/BL wipers are interchangeable with Spridgets (late type) though in
some cases you need to swap the drive cog.

Daniel1312