Fuel gauge

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Fuel gauge
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:54:30 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I'm beginning to think a bowling ball is a device.

I stripped my gauge down (first time I have done this) and it did not look
like the description below.  The description below seems to match a fuel
gauge of 'moving-iron' whereas mine matched the description 'bi-metal'. (2
part numbers are listed for fuel gauges).

The car runs out of fuel when the gauge is reading between a quarter tank and
half tank.

Rather than bend the needle I filed a small slot in gauge body so as to
orientate the gauge face in a different position.  After putting it all back
together it is slightly better and I know that when the gauge reads a quarter
tank I will run out soon.

I think I will buy a gauge from a Mini in the scrapyard at some point and see
how that reads.

For completeness the problems started when I fitted the later 7 gall tank and
had to swap from early to late sender unit (the sender was s/h).  I have no
idea if the gauge is correct for the year of the car but is the one used for
both types of sender.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 17/02/00 05:26:40 GMT Standard Time, grbyrns@ucdavis.edu