Ruminations of an old F-rt

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ruminations of an old F-rt
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:58:33 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Since "achieving" my Frogeye last month Ive inhaled bout everything printed
about the marketing history of the car in North America.  A nagging question
remains.  It is of no serious consequence,  but I cant get over it.  So just
in case there is anyone near my age on the list, here go:  I was a carless
sophomore in college in a small central PA town in 1958.  One day while
walking to the only bar that sold underage,  I passed a car dealership and
in the window was a blue bugeye.  I went in and the salesman reluctantly
showed me the car.( In those days no college kids had any money.)   A dream
was born.  I stopped by that window every day.   Two years later I bought a
very used (up?) TR 3, but thats a whole different story.   Its taken me
fourty some years to rectify that mistake.  Anyway this was a very small
town and Im sure the Sprite wasnt sitting in a BMC dealership.  The nearest
one of those would have been in Pittsburgh, a 100 miles away.   My memory
says it was a Pontiac-Olds-Buick agency.  So does anyone know if BMC had an
early hook up with a Detriot manufacturer back then?  My impression was that
that sort of multi dealership didnt happen till many years later.  Is my
mind gone?  What the hell was a LBC doing in a small town Detriot iron
store?   The Real Larry in Florida.