She Lives! was Fuel Problems

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: She Lives! was Fuel Problems
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:09:05 EST
Finally got to spend some quality time with Katy the 74 Midget yesterday.
Many thanks for the advice from all who answered.

Jacked her up, put a stand under the spring hanger (front), took off the rear
wheel and got a really good look at the fuel pump.  I looks as if it was only
recently moved to the position on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.  It
was held on by two different kinds of sheet meal screws.

It looked at first as if the old rubber fuel line was cracked on the end.  I
looseded it, cut about an inch off and reattached.  Still spraying a fine
stream of fuel.

Heck...looks like the fittings (plastic) may be loose?   Tighten, tighten,
CRACK...

New all metal fuel pump from Autozone..$27.95.  They could special order one
for the Midget at $119.00...EASY choice.

Only problem is that the sucker is about 7 inches long!  I monted it where
the old one was, but had to put it at an angle so the fuel line did not hand
down under the floor pan.

Changed the fuel filter at the carbs to a clear glass one (plastic?) and
Voila! She runs!

No leaks anywhere...

NOW, I've got to replace the Checker battery I bought a couple of years ago.
Frank, remeber the $20 battery sale?  Both of mine are gone, dead as rocks
and will not charge.How did yours hold up?

Robert H.