RE: Early Midget electric Rev-counter

To: "'rob thomas'" <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Early Midget electric Rev-counter
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:59:21 -0700
Hi Rob,
Let me get this straight. You want to put an electric tachometer with a
bugeye face into a pre war car ? Are you talking Falklands war ? Frogeyes
were made after WW2 . Or are you putting a frogeye tachometer into a
different prewar car ? Oh well , back to your original question. An electric
midget tachometer can be calibrated. Inside there is a potentiometer on the
circuit board that can be adjusted with a small screw driver. You will need
some sort of reference tachometer that you believe to match the readings to.
The very small machine screw holes that attach the Frogeye instrument face
to its mechanical tach guts have a different hole spacing than the latter
midget electronic guts do. You could drill new holes and touch up paint the
old holes on the new face . Also the spindle that the indicator needle
attaches to has  a larger diameter on the mechanical tachometer. You will
need to fill the oversized hole with epoxy and redrill it for the smaller
sized midget spindle. There is an article in a back issue of Puddle Jumper
that talks about doing this conversion. But I have to wonder if the author
actually ever did the conversion himself ? After trying to follow his
instructions, there were several idiosyncrasies that were not mentioned. At
least that was my experience. I was interested in this conversion because I
want to run an alternator in my Bugeye with a stock appearing dash.
Good luck ! Let us know how it turns out.
Mark Hanna
AN5