More Fuel Pump + valve question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More Fuel Pump + valve question
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 19:53:30 -0600
Here's an interesting (to me) update on my fuel pump.  I went out to the
garage to put on the new Facet brand fuel pump, but decided to turn the key
one last time to see what was up.  Of course, I got a completely normally
functioning SU fuel pump at this point.  Delightful thump, thump, thump
until up to pressure.  Drove around the neighborhood until car was good and
warm and stopped and started the car several times.  No problems.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon before?  Absolutely no click from pump one
day, let it rest and then functions normally after that?  Is this just a
sign that it is going bad or does it get stuck from time to time or....

If I do need to go ahead and replace it, do I need a fuel regulator?  I
wouldn't have thought so because this model Facet fuel pump is the one
recommended by Peter C. in the archives and it only puts out 1.5-3 pounds
of pressure.  That can't be too much, can it?

Now the valve question.  I still have an idle problem of sorts.  It either
idles very high (1200-1500) or after adjusting idle screws down -very low
(700-500 to almost dieing).  I'm beginning to hear a new sound from time to
time.  It's a very sharp clack, clack under the valve cover - like a
snapping sound.  Doesn't sound rhythmic like just generally loose valve
clearances.  Any ideas?  Do I have a serious valve replacement in my
future?  Would that affect the idle as mentioned before?  Seems to me like
it would have a big effect on idle, but I don't know.

As always, any help or advice is appreciated.

Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1960 BRG Bugeye Sprite - First up for restoration
1973 Damask Red Midget - Project car for sale