Valves are adjusted, and so is the mind. (long)

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valves are adjusted, and so is the mind. (long)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:59:11 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Thanks for the valve adjustment tips, Just got back from the obligatory test
run (more on that later). The lash was around 20 thousandth of an inch, and
now are back to the tight 12. Runs great, more seat of the pants power, and
oddly enough, different exhaust sound... a bit lower. Also much much
smoother running. Not to mention the great looking new valve cover.

The hour long "test" drive was very odd to say the least.

First off, there's a strange Santa Ana wind blowing tonight. Very hot wind
yet the average temperature is fairly chilly. Going around a bend I would
get heat blasted, like opening a oven. Yet other times my hands would go
numb from the cold.
Going around a hair pin turn way to fast, I here this clink clink sound....
like dropping a wrench onto cement... I think I lost my crucial 7/16s wrench
somewhere on the CA 192 "hi-way".
So I'm like really freaking out now, on some mountain gravel road with the
crazy wind blowing and strange sounds following me at 3am.
Ok, now the crazy part. A pack of coyotes (about 4 of em) are crossing the
road in front of me and then they just stop. I slam on the brakes and
screech to a halt. They just sit there and look at me. I toot the horn they
start howling\laughing at me. Then I could of SWORN one of em said "1.275
Liters isn't an engine.... it's a soft drink!" and they took off yelping and
howling and laughing at my car. That's when I knew it was time to head home.

To top it off, I got pulled over about 200 yards from home. Talked my way
out of a speeding ticket (goin 55 in a 35) beautifully telling the officer
it was only a test drive, since I just worked on my car. I even showed him
the new valve cover. We chatted for a few minutes and he let me go. I think
he was after drunk drivers on a Saturday night but anyhow. I'm going to bed.

Thanks!

Toby, whose got a good new name for his sprite. "The 1275 Coyote"
(pronounced kai ote)

A Sprite mechanic is never at rest,
his spanners and tools never rust.
Even though Spridgets are the very best,
But only when the valves are in perfect adjust.