Structural Repair

To: "Tocci, Al" <atocci@advanta.com>
Subject: Structural Repair
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:24:07 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
All this talk lately about replacing body sheet metal has given me the nerve
to go ahead and try it on one of my rusty Sprites.  The floor pans and
rockers don't sound impossible, but my question is about lining up the edges
of patch panels with the old metal.  There are some devices available that
you attach to both pieces and they hold the two pieces of metal about .003
inches apart so you can butt-weld them together.  It sounds like a good way
to match up the new patch panel with the old metal, but what keeps the joint
from warping when you weld them together?  Any tricks to keep this from
happening?

TIA
Bob