Re: 67 midget

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@mindspring.com>, "Midget Sprite Club, UK" <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, "Oscar Biondi" <biondioe@yahoo.com>, "Sprite List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 67 midget
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:38:05 -0800
Oscar,

White smoke is usually from water, and from what you describe, is sounds
like a blown head gasket to me. For future reference, bluish-white smoke is
burning oil (bad rings or valves or both) and black smoke is a too rich gas
mixture. If it is a bad head gasket, a good copper one will fix the
problem, but there is always the possibility of a cracked cylinder head
also. If you contiue to be interested in this car, try to determine where
the leak is located and look under the valve cover too. If the head is
cracked, you will likely find whitish oily deposits under the valve cover.
Also once the car has warmed up, place your hand about an inch or two from
the exaust pipe to see if you have water condensing on your hand. This is
normal when an engine is cold, but not once it is warmed up.

Gerard

At 9:21 PM -0600 3/15/00, Patton Dickson wrote:
>Oscar,
>
>I am forwarding your message to a couple of Sprite Midget lists for more
>help.  Guys, if you can help Oscar, send him mail at biondioe@yahoo.com
>
>Personally, depending on what you are paying for the car.  I would be much
>more worried about ANY rust or body work the car needs.  Engines are out
>there to be had for a reasonable price, but rust is a killer (my car is a
>great example of that :) )
>
>The choke doesn't sound right to me, but others can shed better light on
>that than me, so I will defer to them.
>
>Good Luck.
>
>Patton

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux