Re: Speaking of brake fluid...

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of brake fluid...
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:56:16 EST
In a message dated 3/16/00 9:50:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< No LBC content, but given the recent comments about how well brake fluid
 removes paint, I got to wondering about whether it could be used to dissolve
 household paint from a wooden floor.  Is there an easy was to clean the
 brake fluid / paint slop afterwards?

 My wife and I are going nuts trying to remove an old paint layer from a pine
 floor, and the usual chemicals and scrapers  aren't working.  (Maybe its
 milk paint from the days of yore?) >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are difficulties in completely removing the brake fluid, and that would
be especially hard if it seeps between the boards.  If you don't completely
remove it, the new paint won't stick properly.  Not a good idea to use brake
fluid as paint remover.

Rent a floor sander and start with 80 grit paper.  The old finish will be
gone in no time.  Make sure you use proper breathing filters if this is old
paint.  It might have lead content.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget