Re: Arkley?

To: wizardz@maxinter.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arkley?
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:34:33 EST
In a message dated 3/17/00 9:02:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wizardz@maxinter.net writes:

<< http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=285068969 >>
I believe it to be a knock off of the old Devon front end which was avail in
the early 60's thru at least 1967. A friend of mine had one on a B-eye in
1965, and it looked very much like the picture. It was reminiscent of the AC
Ace nose, and weighed a ton, but I really liked the style.
         The fact that the seller says it's very beefy/heavy points to
pre-1970 glaswork. When fibreglas was in it's early days (around 1956/7)
there wasn;t much in the way of testing done, and the philosophy was "more is
best..." My 1963 era 30' glass sailboat (English, of course...) was  nearly
2" thick at the prow, and weighed about twice what a similar hull weighed by
1975....
                   Mark Childers