Re: Zoning and LBCs

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Zoning and LBCs
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:20:07 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Rich said:

>The local city council recently changed the municipal code to further
>restrict the number and types of vehicles one is allowed to store on
>their property outside of a garage.  The new ordinance is intended to
>address the various problems associated with 'junk' cars.  Without going
>heavily into the particulars, the new version prevents me from storing a
>project vehicle outside while I am working on it (well, I can work on it
>outside, I just can't leave it in the same spot for more than 24 hours
>without running afoul of the law).

I personally am glad to have this rule in my town, as I have two neighbors
that have been allowing several cadillacs to rust away in plain sight of
everyone else's manicured lawns and gardens.  Many communities that have
this requirement state that the car must be registered, with license plates,
if the vehicle is visible from the street.  I take this to mean that if I
place a car cover over it, I'm technically complying, and if its a junk
vehicle, its an improvement.  My in-laws have done similar things by
purchasing or building a carport, made out of lightweight tent-frame and
covered by a tarp.  I think they can be purchased from WalMart, KMart, etc.

In my case when I get my Sprite back to New Jersey, I'm just going to
register it with antique plates right off of the bat, and not worry, even
though it won't be roadworthy for a long time.  As for insurance, I will
cancel immediately after registration.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget