Re: Re: Cars

To: Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, midgetman@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cars
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:17:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Rex,

You've probably figured it out by now with all the other responses, that the
sprites and midgets were actully built on the same assembly line. The 'sprite'
was the 'orginal' car which began production in '58, and the midget labeled
cars
started in 61, with the change in body style from the 'bugeye' to the 'square
bodied cars. The AH labeled cars (sprites) if anything might have been
considered slightly upscale from the midgets, although the differences were
very
subtle, but since there were fewer sprites than midgets produced, the sprites
tend to be much more 'collectable', and retain a higher value. I think you'll
find, that most people on this list prefer the pre-british leyland cars (BL
took
over BMC in the early 70's). One nice thing about these cars, is that for the
most part, all the parts are interchangable between all the years (58-78), for
instance, I have a 59 bugeye, with a '71 1275 engine/transmission, and front
diskbrake assemblies off a '78. For the most part my car looks original, except
for colors. In any case, don't ever let the year of the car deter you, but go
by
condition (no-rust, straight). It's better to find a good tub, with a bad
engine
and tranny, rather than buy a good running 'rust bucket', since the mechanical
parts are the easy things to replace/fix.

BTW - I was only giving you a hard time before:-)

Regards - Bryan

P.S. - Windows... I don't need no stinking windows ! ;-)

>To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@eng.sun.com>
>Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Re: Cars
>
>Well I figure since they sold more and they came from a bigger company. The
sprites are supposed to be cheaper and the midgets are supposed to be kinda
upmarket. I dont know if i really want a car as old as 1959. thats old. Besides
I guess they dont have windows so what happens if it rains. rex