I have lurked-a little

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: I have lurked-a little
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 01:05:15 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
As a kid in high school in LaGrangeville, NY/ Billings, NY I used to walk
across a massive farm to a great pond where I'd skate and play hockey (still
my first love).  When I was old enough to drive, I found a side road where
the pond was a short walk away.  Well, on this road was a place known as
Global Healey.  Apparently Global was very well known for their restored big
healeys. (Can anyone confirm this?)  Years later I would meet the principals
and key people--uncommonly great people!

There was one guy who gave me a tour of their facility who raced Sprites.
(primarily at Limerock, CT I suppose)  Seeing his Sprites left quite an
impression on me!  That was it!  In 81, I bought my 67 Sprite.  Red.
Luggage rack.  Bondo all under.  You knew the tailpipe was on the driver's
side by the fact that the rear bumper was black on one side...

For two years, this was my source of transportation.  Back and forth to
Villanova University every 5-6 weeks.  I used to always break down in
Bloomfield, NJ on the Garden State Pkwy.  Oddly, this was about the mid
point of my trip.  I can remember running up the left lane in rush hour
pushing the Sprite while a lovely coed was at the wheel --trying to get off
(that doesn't sound right) the road to a garage.   (That also was the
closest thing to a physical relationship I ever had with her.)   Somehow
though after a few minutes, the car would start and run the rest of the way.
It turns out the gas cap was creating a vacuum and cutting off the fuel
supply accordingly.  A rather matter of fact mechanic opened the tank one
day and literally threw the cap into the woods.  "Problem solved.", he said.

Anyway,  I lost that Sprite to the broad side of a "Short Bus" on Lancaster
Pike US 30 as the bus pulled out of Haverford College and didn't see me over
the right lane full of cars.  I'm here to tell you that those little cars
crash great.  The motor twisted sideways instead of coming straight back.
The front wheels bent underneath to cushion the blow a bit.  The most
painful injury was sustained by the sharp blow to the back of my melon by
the rather large "home stereo" speaker wedged behind the seats at the time
of impact.  I recently found photos and thought they might make good
viewing.  Maybe I'll post them.

Well, the 68 Sprite came along the following year.  Naively, I thought it
looked great.  It was rotted within a year or two.  I absolutely enjoyed it
still.  It too was my only source of transportation.

Yeah, 16 years, one wife, 4 kids, and 2 dogs later--there it is in the
garage.  The good part:  A donor shell is in sight.  I will do more this
summer than sit in my garage saying, "vroom, vroom."
So with that said, this story will continue...

Dan O'Shea
68 Sprite display in Garage(structurally challenged)
Poughkeepsie, NY