Re: Has anyone tried to register an abandoned vehicle?

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgraziano@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried to register an abandoned vehicle?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:27:21 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
mike , yes.  i have titled a 55 chevrolet 4 door sedan which was purchased
as a parts car and found to be significant enough to restore(in 55 chevy
terms, being that it is a very early 1954 built car with many original
engineering "mistakes" changed in later production cars).  the car was
bought to remove factory power steering from for another car.  it was
purchased as a car we had no intention of ever doing anything with besides
stripping it of useable parts.   during the dismantling process was when it
was identified as being a very early production car.
now in order to retain it's original serial number plate and not recieve a
"reconstructed " title and a new state issued serial nimber plate i decided
to try one of those places that advertise in hemmings that say they can get
a title for your car.   the place i used was called titles unlimited, and
their fee was 200.00.
that may seem a bit steep but if you wish to restore a vehicle and retain
it's original identity i highly recomend that route.  i recieved a title in
my name for my car registered in i believe it was georgia.  all i had to do
was have it transfered to pennsylvania at the notary's office and a
pennsylvania title arrived in the mail from harrisburg.  end of problems!
btw, i did a search with state police and harrisburg for the owners of this
car and found no information available.  it was last inspected in pa. in
1972 but even the inspection station's number was illegible on the sticker.
i was told that the state purges their records after 10 years when i called
harrisburg.  this was done a while ago.
now with a spridget and the screwed on serial number plates?  the sky's the
limit with serial nimber switching between cars which is illegal but lets be
honest , it has happened to cars like ours over and over in the past.  that
is why manufacturers have resorted to using unique shaped "tamper proof"
rivets or literally spot welding serial number plates , or stamping serial
numbers into specific inacessable aeras with special design sets of
charichters which are not easily reproduced.  an effort to deter switching
one car's identity to another.

chuck.