911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:08:28 -0400
Just a note to the lists about a virus that has come up in the last week
or so. I was asked about it by list members (one got it but didn't get
burned), confirmed it,  and thought I would drop a line to the group.
Unfortunately this goes out the same day Allen (WAY too much time on his
hands) Hefner posts about the well known Work Virus.

911 (firkin) is a for real virus that comes attached to an email. the
attachment can be called mine.exe. (It really is a worm) it does a couple
of things. One it can wipe your drive but the fun one is - for those with
modem lines - it will spend all day calling 911 repeatedly. The FBI
called it a serious "Denial of Service" attack against the 911 system.
And the cops might get mad at you for dialing 911 for no reason.

More info can be found at
http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/firkin.htm

This baby will get Win 3.1, Win95 and Win98. Less likely to get NT as it
wants to go in the C:\WINDOWS directory which NT does not normally have.

Nor will it get a MAC!! (LMAO)

Nor Unix either.

I know - WAY Too much information. Keep those Virus DAT files updated.

Larry

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager